Early evaluation provides both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that the initial evaluation occur at the first sign of orthodontic problems or no later than age 7. By that age, the first adult molars have erupted, establishing the back bite. At this time, an orthodontist can evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships. An orthodontist can carefully monitor growth and development and begin treatment when it is ideal. Early treatment ensures the greatest result with the least amount of time and expense.
What are the advantages of interceptive treatment?
- Creating room for crowded, erupting teeth
- Creating facial symmetry through influencing jaw growth
- Reducing the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserving space for unerupted teeth
- Reducing the need for tooth removal
- Reducing treatment time with braces